LYL Local – February 2017
“Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.”
Shine Bright, Legends!
Welcome to our fourth annual Live Your Legend World Party—where Living Legends around the globe get together on the same day to inspire each other to do meaningful work.
So this month’s theme is, not surprisingly, “Do Something That Matters.” We’ll keep Scott’s spirit in mind as we look at the how to turn a career or business into something that’s not only meaningful to us, but in service to something greater than ourselves.
Some groups will be undertaking service projects now or in the near future, as a symbol of how meaningful work is a part of Living Your Legend. But a service project is not necessary to show our commitment to meaningful work—just the act of gathering together—to talk about our own version of meaningful work, to fight the conventional wisdom that leads 80% of us to dislike our work, and to help each other move toward a life that’s full and fulfilled—that is what we can do to band together and make a difference.
Below are all the instructions you need to be best prepared you can be, and you will find the Agenda and Worksheet for downloading (we are providing the agenda in full here, too):
A Note on Creating Your Monthly Facebook Event
If you haven’t already, create your next event in your Local Facebook Group:
- Go to your Local Facebook Group
- Click on Events at the top
- Click on Create Event on the right hand side
- Add an event photo (the group photo from last month works well)
- Add in title – “LYL Local World Party – Do Something That Matters”
- Add in all other details – location, date, time, etc.
- Add a description:
Welcome to the 2017 World Party, where Living Legends around the globe gather on the same day to inspire each other to do meaningful work.
This month’s theme is “Do Something That Matters.” We’ll keep Scott’s spirit in mind as we look at the how to turn a career or business into something that’s not only meaningful to us, but is in service to something greater than ourselves.
We’ll show our commitment to meaningful work by gathering together to talk about our own version of meaningful work, to fight the conventional wisdom that leads 80% of us to dislike our work, and to help each other move toward a life that’s full and fulfilled.
- Create your event (make sure you have ticked “invite all members of LYL Local to your event”)
- Celebrate as people decide to join you
Below is some optional guidance to set you up for success for the meetup and to enable you to effectively facilitate a discussion around doing something that matters!
- Let the participants know in your local Facebook group that this month you will be focusing on doing something that matters!
- Follow set agenda below (always optional).
- Have an amazing time with your participants.
- Check in and Mingling [15 minutes]
- Host Introduction(s) [5 minutes]
Introduce yourself and share about the LYL movement and the purpose of the meetup (i.e. to support each other in doing work that matters). Feel free in this part to touch on the vision that Scott had and how together we are going to continue to grow that legacy. That together we really can change the world.
- Take a photo of your group – to later share globally [5 minutes]
- Member Introduction(s) [15 minutes]
To keep this as succinct as possible, ask them to introduce themselves and to briefly share why they came in a sentence or two.
- Introduce the topic of the evening – Do Something That Matters [45 minutes]
- Discuss “How does Living My Legend serve the world?”—how living your legend can not only help you do work you love, but how doing something that matters can be of service to others as well.
- Use the Passionate Work Framework as a starting place (see Scott’s TEDx talk). Have each person identify which pillar they are currently working on, and then have those who are in the particular pillar discuss the question for their pillar:
- Pillar 1: How can Becoming a Self-Expert be of service to others?
- Pillar 2: How can Doing Your Impossible be of service to others?
- Pillar 3: How can Surrounding Yourself with Passionate People be of service to others?
- Pillar 4: How can Doing Something That Matters be of service to others? (Okay, so this last one is a gimme!)
- Accountability Actions [15 minutes]
Invite each person to share one action they will be taking before you meet again next month. Remind them they are responsible for making it happen AND the local group is behind them to achieve it. (It can also be helpful for them to find someone to buddy up with for accountability purposes.)
- Share the date/venue for next meetup [5 minutes]
- Mix and Mingle [15 minutes]
- Celebrate – You are an amazing host. Take a moment to celebrate yourself and your achievements. What you have just done is nothing short of incredible!
- Follow Up – Make a post in your Local Facebook group sharing how much you enjoyed the evening. Ask the group to share what they committed to at the event.
- Share – Log on to your Local and Global Group Facebook Page and share your group photo
- Share – Log on to your Global Hosts Facebook group and share your favorite moment/lessons learned
- Reflect on your evening – What was your favorite moment? What do you think could be done better
- Complete this short questionnaire so LYL HQ knows what is happening
- Celebrate YOU again – you are a rockstar!