Selling Everything to Host a Global Dinner Party: Chelsea & My Interview on Living Out a 10-Year Dream
“Paris is always a good idea.”
– Audrey Hepburn
Today we’re doing something a A LOT different…
I’m writing from a cozy Airbnb apartment in the beautiful downtown cobblestone-lined town of Salta in northern Argentina. This is stop #3 & day 10 of our World Tour & Global Dinner Party Project, and so far the adventure has been more than we could have dreamed (with much much slower Internet).
We’ll get into more of that soon – and for more real-time updates & pictures on our adventure, check out our new World Tour site and join the updates list.
But for now, we have something pretty fun.
An interview with, wait for it… Chelsea (my Chief Balance Officer) and me!
Today we’re turning the tables a bit. Instead of me doing the interviewing – our long-time coach and good friend, Debra Russell, is interviewing us.
After working with us consistently for over six years (both individually and together), she probably knows us more personally and intimately than anyone, which kinda scares me…
And she’s seen us develop the dream of traveling the world together since the very beginning (which was not always a pretty discussion).
And since a big part of the Why behind this trip for Chelsea and me is to inspire you all to pursue your own travel adventures and dreams, we wanted to do a deep dive into what it took to make this dream come to life.
In case you’re wondering – in a world where the term “coach” is over-used to the point of becoming meaningless, Debra Russell is the real deal.
As a former General Manager, Master Coach and Trainer for Tony Robbins, she’s led 4,000-person events alongside him and coached some of the most respectable names in business.
And before meeting him 30 years ago, she was a hair stylist living in a trailer park. This woman defines personal change.
And somewhere along the way, around age 50, she decided to jump ship to dance tango in Argentina for three years. So she knows a thing or two about world travel and following dreams.
Her fingerprints are all over the incredible dream come true that Live Your Legend has become, and the amazing relationship I have with Chelsea.
As with anything worth living for, none of it has come without some serious dedication to being better, and certainly would not have been possible without the right people in our corner.
So, have fun watching our very first interview together. And check below the video for the key points we hit throughout the interview.
Sell Everything & Travel the World: Scott & Chelsea Dinsmore Share What Made It Possible (Video Interview)
Don’t see a video? Click here.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
- 1:50 – Debra’s mind-blowing elevator pitch
- 3:30 – The power of that moment when you ask yourself “What do I want?”
- 6:10 – Life before things went big
- 9:24 – The juicy details on how this whole crazy trip started a decade ago
- 12:25 – Seizing the power of living without regrets – even when you feel like you’re a joke
- 18:41 – The crazy excuses why people don’t travel
- 20:35 – The right Why changes everything, and making the most of “luck”
- 22:32 – Making conscious choices to build a life you love
- 26:34 – Chelsea’s Simple Kitchen journey: A case study in finding and building your passion on the side
- 35:21 – Yeah, she did that. When Chelsea told Scott to “get a real job” or the worst words an entrepreneur could hear
- 37:54 – Chelsea’s advice for those “I want to give up” moments
- 39:57 – What kitchen utensils would Scott and Chelsea be?
- 41:43 – Transforming “I could never do this” into what’s possible
- 43:32 – Why going big isn’t always the answer
- 44:00 – The LYL World Tour! And a huge reality check from friends
- 48:46 – Chelsea vs. Scott: The clash of packing wisdom
- 53:24 – Our big goal & the trail we want to leave with this adventure
- 56:32 – The real purpose of charting outcomes and intentions
- 57:12 – The biggest risk of all
- 57:39 – The BIG question they all ask & why we can’t tell you what we’re going to do when we come back
- 59:36 – Pick your dream, huge or small—just choose
- 1:00:56 – Choose a quest, change your life
- 1:03:31 – Debra’s best advice for me and Chelsea (you’ll wish it was yours!)
Give Your Dreams Room to Breathe
That’s what we did 10 years ago. While walking on a beach in Santa Barbara we talked of exploring the world one day.
Then it came up a few months later. Then again. And again.
Without knowing it, our dream started to mold our decisions.
For years we had no idea how or when we’d do it.
Live Your Legend didn’t even exist.
But we knew how important it was to us.
So we gave it room to breathe. Room to grow. And eventually it took on a life of its own.
And that put us right here – in this fun little apartment in Salta, with a church bell ringing through the window and a little wine shop down the street begging for our attention.
And tomorrow is our next dinner party, with our Live Your Legend hosts, Matias & Lu, and a few local friends.
Next stop is Mendoza, then who really knows.
For now, I think it’s about time for that wine shop.
Here’s to adventure (and holding on tight),
– Scott (and Chelsea)
P.P.S. Next week I’m going to share what most entrepreneurs are too scared to even think about making public. Stay tuned.
Also, for those of you looking to work with a master, Debra is taking on a select few clients, if the fit is right. If you’re interested, check out her site and get in touch here. If you tell her I sent you, you might even get special treatment.
Okay, time for a little vino!