Congratulations to everyone who hosted a meetup last month! We hope you all had a heap of fun connecting through speed dating!
So this month we want to continue our theme of connecting by encouraging even deeper connectedness within your local communities!
So August is themed CONNECT & COLLABORATE.
Meaningful connections are the foundation to creating a local community that keeps on coming back. And this requires us to facilitate the connections between the attendees (as opposed to us as hosts standing up front each week talking).
This month we are going to guide you on how to create a local community who truly knows one another. Because when we know each other, we can truly open up the space for potential collaboration and friendships.
Below are all the instructions you need to be best prepared you can be, and where you will find the Agenda and Guidance for downloading (we are providing the agenda in full here, too):
A Note on Creating Your Monthly Facebook Event
If you haven’t already, create your next event in your Local Facebook Group:
- Go to your Local Facebook Group
- Click on Events at the top
- Click on Create Event on the right hand side
- Add an event photo (the group photo from last month works well)
- Add in title – “LYL Local August Meetup – Connect & Collaborate”
- Add in all other details – location, date, time, etc.
- Add a description:
We get so busy rushing through our lives that we forget to connect in a meaningful way to each other. We think we are connected because we spend hours on Facebook, but in fact the deepest connections are ALWAYS in person. But even when we get in person it can be easy to allow ourselves or others to fade into the background and become observers. This month we are going to guide you on how to create a local community who truly knows one another. Because when we know each other, we can truly open up the space for potential collaboration and friendships.
- Create your event (make sure you have ticked “invite all members of LYL Local to your event”)
- Celebrate as people decide to join you
Below is some optional guidance to set you up for success for the meetup and to enable you to effectively facilitate discussions.
- Let the participants know in your local Facebook group that this month you will be focusing on building connection skills.
- Follow set agenda below (always optional).
- Have an amazing time with your participants.
- Check-in and Mingling [15 min]
- Host Introduction(s) [3-5 min] – Introduce yourself and share about the LYL movement and the purpose of the meetup (i.e. to support each other in doing work that matters). Feel free in this part to touch on the vision that Scott had and how together we are going to continue to grow that legacy. That together we really can change the world.
- Introduce the topic of the evening – Connect & Collaborate
- Share with your participants how important it is to get out from behind our laptops, and connect in person! Congratulate them for being there! It’s one of the quickest ways to open your mind, support others, get supported, find collaborators, and create deep and long-lasting connections for life!
- Follow the instructions in the August Host Guidance which will assist you to facilitate the connection activity.
- Take a photo of your group during the connection activity – to later share globally
- Share the date/venue for next meetup
- Mix and Mingle – allow participants to connect with each other
- Celebrate – You are an amazing host. Take a moment to celebrate yourself and your achievements. What you have just done is nothing short of incredible!
- Follow Up – Make a post in your Local Facebook group sharing how much you enjoyed the evening. Ask the group to share what they committed to at the event.
- Share – Log on to your Local and Global Group Facebook Page and share your group photo
- Share – Log on to your Global Hosts Facebook group and share your favorite moment/lessons learned
- Reflect on your evening – What was your favorite moment? What do you think could be done better
- Complete this short questionnaire so LYL HQ knows what is happening
- Celebrate YOU again – you are a rockstar!