Looking Back, Looking Forward
“What you get by achieving your goals
is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”
Happy New Year, Legends!
We hope you all had a tremendous holiday season, and had a chance to celebrate all that 2016 brought.
Since we’re kicking off a new year, it’s a great opportunity not only to look forward and plan for the new year, but also to look back and see what all we accomplished in the old.
So this month’s theme is “Looking Back, Looking Forward”—we’ll take some time to acknowledge our successes and challenges from 2016, and to identify those things that will help us have an even better 2017.
Below are all the instructions you need to be best prepared you can be, and you will find the Agenda and Worksheet for downloading (we are providing the agenda in full here, too):
A Note on Creating Your Monthly Facebook Event
If you haven’t already, create your next event in your Local Facebook Group:
- Go to your Local Facebook Group
- Click on Events at the top
- Click on Create Event on the right hand side
- Add an event photo (the group photo from last month works well)
- Add in title – “LYL Local January Meetup – Looking Back, Looking Forward”
- Add in all other details – location, date, time, etc.
- Add a description:
This time of year is a great opportunity not only to look forward and plan for the new year, but also to look back and see what all we accomplished in the old.
So this month’s theme is “Looking Back, Looking Forward” —we’ll take some time to acknowledge our successes and challenges from 2016, and to identify those things that will help us have an even better 2017.
- Create your event (make sure you have ticked “invite all members of LYL Local to your event”)
- Celebrate as people decide to join you
Below is some optional guidance to set you up for success for the meetup and to enable you to effectively facilitate a discussion around mini-adventures!
- Let the participants know in your local Facebook group that this month you will be focusing on mini adventures!
- Follow set agenda below (always optional).
- Have an amazing time with your participants.
- Check in and Mingling [15 minutes]
- Host Introduction(s) [5 minutes]
Introduce yourself and share about the LYL movement and the purpose of the meetup (i.e. to support each other in doing work that matters). Feel free in this part to touch on the vision that Scott had and how together we are going to continue to grow that legacy. That together we really can change the world.
- Take a photo of your group – to later share globally [5 minutes]
- Member Introduction(s) [15 minutes]
To keep this as succinct as possible, ask them to introduce themselves and to briefly share why they came in a couple of sentences.
- Introduce the topic of the evening – Looking Back, Looking Forward [45 minutes]
- Hand out the January Worksheet.
- Looking Back: On the blank side of the worksheet, have everyone take 5 minutes to write down as many things as they can that they were 1) proud of, and/or 2) grateful for in 2016.
- When the time is up, have attendees say aloud any achievement or gratitude they’re comfortable sharing with the group.
- Looking Forward: Have everyone flip to the circle side of the worksheet. For 10 minutes, have everyone complete their circle according to the instructions.
- When the time is up, have attendees say aloud anything they’re comfortable sharing with the group.
- Accountability Actions [15 minutes]
Invite each person to share one action they will be taking before you meet again next month. Remind them they are responsible for making it happen AND the local group is behind them to achieve it. (It can also be helpful for them to find someone to buddy up with for accountability purposes.)
- Share the date/venue for next meetup [5 minutes]
- Mix and Mingle [15 minutes]
- Celebrate – You are an amazing host. Take a moment to celebrate yourself and your achievements. What you have just done is nothing short of incredible!
- Follow Up – Make a post in your Local Facebook group sharing how much you enjoyed the evening. Ask the group to share what they committed to at the event.
- Share – Log on to your Local and Global Group Facebook Page and share your group photo
- Share – Log on to your Global Hosts Facebook group and share your favorite moment/lessons learned
- Reflect on your evening – What was your favorite moment? What do you think could be done better
- Complete this short questionnaire so LYL HQ knows what is happening
- Celebrate YOU again – you are a rockstar!
Host Agenda (Word)
Attendee Agenda (Word)
Attendee Agenda (PDF)