Congrats – You Joined the 7-Day Start-A-Blog Dream Job Writing Challenge! Now, Take Step #1 to Officially Participate
“The more I write, the more I discover.”
IMPORTANT: In order to get the most out of this, it’s crucial that you take Step #1 (starting your blog) right now. That will allow you to join our community and actually participate in the challenge.
Now, Welcome to the Dream Job Writing Habits Course & Start-A-Blog Challenge!
I believe a blog is hands-down the most powerful passion-discovery and career-transition tool on the planet.
So, the goal of this challenge is simple: to get you to finally start writing, discovering and publishing your ideas.
The real benefit in participating in the challenge will come from what you learn about yourself through consistent writing and sharing your thoughts, which means that everyone who participates will win. And you’ll win big. That’s the fun part!
Each morning for the next seven days you’ll get a short email with two things (and maybe a little bonus):
- One technique or tool for building your writing habit
- One writing prompt to help discover your dream job
They will take 10-20 minutes to implement (depending on how much you decide to write!)
Writing can make all the difference…
When I consider everything I’ve done in the past decade to learn about myself, build a career and make a difference, nothing has been more powerful than my decision to start a blog and adopt a daily writing, reflection and discovery habit. Nothing else even comes close.
My first blog led to me finding my life’s work, building a thriving global business, getting invited to give a TEDx talk that’s gotten over 2 million views, launching local LYL communities in 150 cities in 48 countries and getting the chance to have a bigger impact with my work than I ever dreamed. Oh, and getting to run the business while traveling the world for a year with my wife as we meet a bunch of you and host LYL Local events along the way!
It all started with my routine writing habit.
The scary thing is I had put it off for years – and I know so many people who continue to put it off.
Well, the procrastination ends today. I want to remove every barrier and excuse to get you creating your blog, learning to write and sharing your work.
Each year thousands LYLers start blogs and become writers during our challenge, and many of them have told me directly that it’s the most game-changing thing they do the whole year.
Here are a couple success stories from past participants…
“You and your work at LYL is what gave me the courage to start a blog in the first place. Since then, I have fallen in love with my subject matter, and figured out what I want to do with the rest of my life!”
– Bethany S.
“The Blog Challenge is, for me, was the perfect way to stop dreaming about your passions and finally start making them reality. In my case it was the perfect push: when you stop making plans and start doing, the inertia breaks, you start to learn and grow, get a little better each day, and eventually figure things out. That´s how a year later that blog I created during the challenge turned into a real business and got me invited to give a TEDx Talk!”
– Matías S.
Matias now works full-time on his passion-based business, is seen as an expert in his field and has given talks to audiences of over 1,000 people, including speaking at TEDx – a lifetime dream of his.
I know many of you have held off on this for years for all kinds of reasons. I hope this finally inspires you to take a stand and publish something. The world is waiting.
So Here’s Step #1: Start Your Blog
If you already have one, awesome. Watch for more guidance coming tomorrow. But for the rest of you, follow this ten-minute video and process…
How to Start a Blog (& Publish a Post) in Less than 10 Minutes with Zero Tech Experience:
Note: The instructions below are intentionally very, very simple to get you up and running with a totally basic WordPress blog so you can start publishing ideas ASAP.
There are about a million other decisions you could (and eventually probably will) make regarding your blog or site. Please do not worry about that today. All that matters is getting something published. Don’t worry about how it looks. Today is about creating your sandbox and starting to play a little. Landscaping (and other excuses for being afraid of getting a little dirty) can be addressed later.
For the more advanced folks who already have a blog, this is your next step: The 4 Pillars to Starting a Blog that Actually Matters (& grow it by 160x in 2 years). But if you don’t have a blog yet, just follow the steps below. It will be much quicker and simpler.
1. Sign up for the most basic website hosting account at Bluehost.
To make this as easy as possible, see the video I recorded at the end of this step that walks you through setting up a blog and publishing your first post in under 10 minutes.
I fully endorse Bluehost. I am a proud affiliate partner of theirs (and LYL readers get a special 20% discount from the public price – discount already included in each of these Bluehost links), and it’s where all our domains live. I’ve tried a lot of hosts in the past, and this is by far the best discount option available based on my personal experience and that of the people I respect online.
They’ve also been a top recommended web host by WordPress since 2005. All you need is the most basic option, which comes with a free domain (website address) of your choosing.
You do not need any of the add-ons or up-sells, such as Site Lock or Site Backup. However, if you want to keep your personal information from being made public on your site, you might want is Domain WHOIS Privacy. All of that can be sorted out later. We want to keep this as simple as possible!
One reason we love Bluehost is because their customer support is awesome. If you’re unsure of what to do, just start up a chat session with their support team and they’ll get your issues sorted out.
A few clarifying points:
- This Bluehost setup will run you about the cost of one latte a month. To get the lowest monthly price of $3.95, you will pay for the first couple years in advance. The month-to-month cost is still only the price of about two lattes. It’s a pretty small investment for finally getting traction on what makes you come alive. There are also some totally free options through sites like Blogger or Tumblr, although to be honest, we don’t really recommend those since you have much less control and won’t actually own the website (and we don’t have any personal experience with them). So if you go that route and decide to take your blog and site more seriously in the future, they can be a total pain in the ass to switch to something like the Bluehost option. You will also have a ton more resources and options available through the slightly less than free option we suggest. And you have the added motivation that when you pay for something (no matter how small), you become WAY more committed to getting use out of it than if it were free. That’s no small point. It’s your call, though.
- Since we’re an affiliate of Bluehost, we will get a small commission if you decide to use them (although, thanks to our partnership with them, the price is actually 20% less for you). As I hope you know by now, we only recommend things that we believe will genuinely help you live your legend. I don’t care where you set up your blog as long as you get something live and start writing. But if you do sign up through our Bluehost link, thanks for your support! And if you’d rather not use our affiliate link (and pay the public price) you’re welcome to use this Bluehost link instead.
- Due to the increased traffic and complexity of Live Your Legend, we host it on a more robust platform via WP Engine (which I LOVE), but at $99+ per month, that is definitely not the option you need to begin.
Step #1: Watch this simple video to walk you through every step of the process in under 10 minutes…
For the rest of the detailed written steps, read below (but the video above should be all you need):
3. Pick your blog name (called a URL or domain name).
This is part of the sign-up process through Bluehost in Step #1. When you sign up for basic hosting, you get a website name for free.
Keep it simple. Don’t hold off just because you can’t come up with some brilliant name. Using your first and last name (or a similar rendition) is fine and might even be better since you might not know the specific niche you want to focus on. You’ll be free to cover whatever topics you choose. Using your name can also allow the site to serve as a simple online resume if nothing else, and it helps with your name’s Google rankings.
4. Set up WordPress on your new site (or have Bluehost do it for you for free).
I cover all of this in the above video, but once you’ve purchased your hosting/domain, you are ready to install WordPress, which will allow you to edit and update your site without needing to do anything technical. Most every blog on the planet from LYL to ZenHabits to The 4-Hour Work Week are all run on WordPress.
Installing/setting up the very basic version of WordPress on a new Bluehost account is a pretty straightforward process. But I’m always a fan of having customer support do it for me. They should be happy to set it up. Just tell them something like, “Hey, I’m excited to get started with my blog. A big reason I chose Bluehost is because I’m not technical, and I heard you guys could get WordPress installed for me super fast. Could you please install WordPress on my new site so I can get started publishing content? Thanks so much!”
If you stall out on any of these steps, be sure to watch my video above. That should clear it all up. And you can always search Google or YouTube for other video tutorials on setting this stuff up, but again, that’s what customer support is there for. They love helping new clients.
And that’s it for today!
Have fun getting set up and we’ll dive into some cool writing and accountability tips tomorrow.
Time to get creative!
P.S. For the full story of how writing transformed my career, click here. But be sure to do the above step first!